Monday 28 January 2013

New topic: Life drawing (15.01.13)

Todays lesson marked the start of a new project, life drawing, in which we had a female model; Alison, come in and model for us.

Since it was our first lesson, we started off with today just drawing hands and feet, which are the two things I have most trouble drawing anyway, so the lesson itself was very beneficial for me, as we recieved helpful advice from our tutor, who said to use shapes to use as the framework of the sketch.

Our first attempt was done with pencil, and was before we recieved advice, so we just had to do the best we could to start off with. I tried drawing Alisons right foot, which didn't come out too bad in my oppinion, but lacks better shading and definition.




for my next attempt I took on the advice given to us, and drew a sort of rectangle shape for the body of the hand and a smaller rectangle for the thumb. I didn't finish it in time for the next pose so it doesn't look very impressive.




Next, we tried charcoal, which I found worked well for shading but struggled with actually drawing with it, making the lines a little over the top.



After this I had a few more attempts at drawing more positioned hands, which improved a little with the charcoal, becoming cleaner and sharper with the lines, the shapes of the hands were hard to draw, especially the one on the left hand side of this page.



My last appempt with charcoal was trying to draw both feet in posed positions. The position was good, but my drawing didn't end up being as good as I hoped.


Lastly, I had a go with a graphite stick, which I think was my favorite, I found it really easy to draw with and was much less messy, plus the drawing turned out to be pretty decent.




No comments:

Post a Comment